[Email-SIG] fixing the current email module

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Thu Oct 8 09:33:47 CEST 2009

On approximately 10/8/2009 12:16 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of R. David Murray:
> I'd like to try to summarize what I understand Barry to be saying

Good summary!  Deleted all but one point that I'd like to have clarified...

> The API also provides ways to build up a Message from pieces, or to
> extract information from a Message in pieces, and to modify a Message,
> and again input and output as both text and bytes must be supported.

And I agree that APIs to retrieve any MIME part as undecoded bytes is
appropriate; and to retrieve it as decoded strings is appropriate for
text MIME parts.  Not sure that non-text MIME parts need to support
being returned as strings.

So there must be APIs that support obtaining text and (same or
different) APIs that support obtaining bytes for a given MIME part.
However, I think it is proper that a MIME part that is not flagged as
text/* might produce an error if asked for as text.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/