[Email-SIG] [Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jun 17 17:43:29 CEST 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 08:48 PM, lutz at rmi.net wrote:

>Well, it looks like I've stumbled onto the "other shoe" on this
>issue--that the email package's problems are also apparently
>behind the fact that CGI binary file uploads don't work in 3.1
>(http://bugs.python.org/issue4953).  Yikes.
>
>I trust that people realize this is a show-stopper for broader
>Python 3.X adoption.

We know it, we have extensively discussed how to fix it, we have IMO a good
design, and we even have someone willing and able to tackle the problem.  We
need to find a sufficient source of funding to enable him to do the work it
will take, and so far that's been the biggest stumbling block.  It will take a
focused and determined effort to see this through, and it's obvious that
volunteers cannot make it happen.  I include myself in the latter category, as
I've tried and failed at least twice to do it in my spare time.

-Barry