[Email-SIG] I miss size() (and some latest frustration)

Glenn Linderman glenn at nevcal.com
Fri Mar 25 22:19:00 CET 2011

On 3/25/2011 1:10 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> For message parsing, it seems like allowing registered callbacks for various
>> >pieces would be handy... "Call me when you parse this type of a header" (or
>> >body part, etc.).
> I think David's design documents to allow for extensions and callbacks based
> on the content-types of things seen.

I recall registration of handlers for various mime times.  I don't
recall callbacks (registered handlers) being available for header
parsing, but no time to find and reread at the moment.  Would be a good
idea, though.  Also, callbacks should have the capability to stop the
parse.  That technique could be used to implement "only parse headers"
also, but it might be nicer to implement that as a flag when parsing starts.

Along this line, if parsing is stopped, it would be nice to be able to
retrieve the unparsed data for alternate use (some is likely to have
been already retrieved from whatever data stream, and passed as a
"chunk" to the parser; an early-out would leave a "partial chunk" that
hasn't been processed, but may want to be processed by some other
entity, even if only for logging or error reporting.

--
Glenn