[Email-SIG] Fwd: Implementing RFCs 2387 and 2392

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Nov 11 17:59:26 CET 2013

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:13:25 +0530, "Sunny K." <sunfinite at gmail.com> wrote:
> Resending.  The first mail does not seem to have gotten through.

I got it, perhaps it was held for moderation initially.

> Are issues 634412[1] and 626452[2] still valid? I would like to work on
> them. Advice or caveats on how to work on them would be helpful.
>
> [1] http://bugs.python.org/issue634412
> [2] http://bugs.python.org/issue626452

Yes these issues are still valid.  The implementation of them will be
(should be?) affected by the changes that just landed in the provisional
email package code.

In particular, the new code does contains some support that is directed
at rfc 2387.  Full support, as I currently envision it, involves a
contentmanager that will turn a related into a dictionary object indexed
by cid, and vice versa.

The way I have this currently planned, any such support should go
into a content manager released first as a third party library on pypi.
The contentmanager code itself is still fresh, and won't leave provisional
status until 3.5.  If an enhanced content manager exists on pypi before
then, it might be a candidate for inclusion as provisional in 3.5,
depending on what the "state of play" looks like by that point.

So, take a look at the new content manager code and the RFCs, and let us
know your thoughts or questions.  It is quite possible there is still
some necessary infrastructure that is missing in the 3.4 email package
code that will be discovered by implementing this support, and if so it
would be nice to fix that in 3.5.

--David