[EuroPython-Announce] EuroPython 2015 Keynote: Holger Krekel

M.-A. Lemburg mal at europython.eu
Sat Jul 4 13:35:54 CEST 2015

We are pleased to introduce our next keynote speaker for EuroPython
2015: Holger Krekel. He will be giving a keynote on Wednesday, July
22.

About Holger Krekel
-------------------

Holger is a prolific Python developer with a strong interest in
communication:

  “Socially this means engaging and co-organizing neighborhoods and
  technically it means i am interested in distributed systems and
  thriving to make available and built better communication machines
  for other people.”

He also is a proud father and loves to dance to “electronic swing” music.

Python projects
---------------

You will probably know Holger as author of the well-known pytest
testing framework and co-founder the PyPy project:

  “When i discovered Python I was thrilled by its high-level
  constructs and introspection facilities. I am still thrilled by the
  idea of dynamically deploying and executing high level programs on
  the net. In my view, Python and testing are a wonderfully productive
  combination for writing software. Out of this conviction, I founded
  and co-developed the PyPy project and maintain the pytest and tox
  testing tools. I also maintain a number of other projects, among the
  more popular are execnet for ad-hoc cross-interpreter communication
  and the py lib.  Most of my code you find at bitbucket/hpk42.”

The coding culture in almost all his projects consists of test- and
documentation-driven development and applying meta programming
techniques.

The Keynote: Towards a more effective, decentralized web

In this talk, Holger will discuss the recent rise of immutable state
concepts in languages and network protocols:

  “The advent of hash-based data structures and replication strategies
  are shaking the client/server web service paradigm which rests on
  managing mutable state through HTTP.  By contrast, building on git,
  bittorrent and other content addressed data structures provides for
  a more secure, efficient decentralized communication topology. There
  are projects, thoughts and talk to create new web standards to bring
  such technologies to mass deployment and fuel a new wave of
  decentralization.  What can Python bring to the table?”

Enjoy,
--
EuroPython 2015 Team
http://ep2015.europython.eu/