[EuroPython-Announce] EuroPython 2020: Our Keynotes

M.-A. Lemburg mal at europython.eu
Thu Jul 2 05:05:53 EDT 2020

We’re happy to announce our keynote lineup for EuroPython 2020.

                      * EuroPython 2020 Keynotes *
             https://ep2020.europython.eu/events/keynotes/

Guido van Rossum - Q&A
----------------------

In this session, you’ll get a chance to get your questions answered by
Guido van Rossum, our retired BDFL.

In order to submit a question, please use the following Google form:
Guido van Rossum Q&A: Question Submission:

https://forms.gle/cAaBgUeVEBgjaDrH7

Siddha Ganju - 30 Golden Rules of Deep Learning Performance

“Watching paint dry is faster than training my deep learning model.”
“If only I had ten more GPUs, I could train my model in time.”
“I want to run my model on a cheap smartphone, but it’s probably too
heavy and slow.”

If this sounds like you, then you might like this talk.

Exploring the landscape of training and inference, we cover a myriad of
tricks that step-by-step improve the efficiency of most deep learning
pipelines, reduce wasted hardware cycles, and make them cost-effective.
We identify and fix inefficiencies across different parts of the
pipeline, including data preparation, reading and augmentation,
training, and inference.

With a data-driven approach and easy-to-replicate TensorFlow examples,
finely tune the knobs of your deep learning pipeline to get the best out
of your hardware.  And with the money you save, demand a raise!

Naomi Ceder - Staying for the Community:
Building Community in the face of Covid-19

Python communities around the world, large and small are facing loss -
from the loss of in person meetups and conferences to the loss of
employment and even the potential loss of health and life.  As
communities we are all confronting uncertainty and unanswered questions.
In this talk I would like to reflect on some of those questions.  What
are communities doing now to preserve a sense of community in the face
of this crisis?  What might we do and what options will we have for
coming events?  How can we build and foster community and still keep
everyone safe?  What challenges might we all face in the future?  What
sources of support can we find?  What are our sources of optimism and
hope?

Alejandro Saucedo - Meditations on First Deployment:
A Practical Guide to Responsible Development

As the impact of software increasingly reaches farther and wider, our
professional responsibility as developers becomes more critical to
society. The production systems we design, build and maintain often
bring inherent adversities with complex technical, societal and even
ethical challenges. The skillsets required to tackle these challenges
require us to go beyond the algorithms, and require cross-functional
collaboration that often goes beyond a single developer.  In this talk
we introduce intuitive and practical insights from a few of the core
ethics themes in software including Privacy, Equity, Trust and
Transparency.  We cover their importance, the growing societal
challenges, and how organisations such as The Institute for Ethical AI,
The Linux Foundation, the Association for Computer Machinery, NumFocus,
the IEEE and the Python Software Foundation are contributing to these
critical themes through standards, policy advise and open source
software initiatives.  We finally will wrap up the talk with practical
steps that any individual can take to get involved and contribute to
some of these great open initiatives, and contribute to these critical
ongoing discussions.

EuroPython 2020 is waiting for you
----------------------------------

We’ve compiled a full program for the event:

- more than 120 sessions,
- more than 120 speakers from around the world,
- 4 brilliant keynotes,
- 2 exciting lightning talk blocks,
- 4 all-day tracks, with a whole track dedicated to data science topics,
- a poster track,
- a virtual social event,
- an after party,
- and lots of socializing on our conference platform.

Conference tickets are available on our registration page.  We hope to
see lots of you at the conference from July 23-26.  Rest assured that
we’ll make this a great event again — even within the limitations of
running the conference online.

    https://ep2020.europython.eu/registration/buy-tickets/

Help spread the word
--------------------

Please help us spread this message by sharing it on your social networks
as widely as possible. Thank you !

Link to the blog post:

https://blog.europython.eu/post/622517324925321216/europython-2020-our-keynotes

Tweet: