[EuroPython] spacetime

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:03:34 +0100

Hi there,

(briefly browsing through the CEME site). Looks cool! Would be great if
we could pull that off.

Anyway, Marc Poinot proposes a pre-meeting for conference staff and
such at LSM in Bordeoux before we have the conference-proper in
Belgium. Can other people comment on this? Geographically there'd be a
distance (how far?) and it might be easier to meet in Belgium to organize,
though on the other hand LSM may be more fun and interesting.

If the pre-meeting happens we have our conference date set shortly
after LSM in july, so that'd be, say, monday july 15. I'm thinking about
3 days, which would include a tutorial day (or perhaps 2.5 days with
a tutorial half day, or perhaps we can run tutorials in parallel; just
thinking 2 - 3 days).

Problem with planning this near LSM is that we may expose people to a
Python overdose, and that this will mean we get less people at each
event.. Of course LSM's planning started earlier.. What do we do? There's
only so much summer 2002 to shift around in, and nothing gets us that
far off in time from LSM. But if the events take place shortly after each
other, it's important to coordinate things very well, and to make people
know the events are related.

I think it's very important to start organizing Python/Zope events in
Europe in non-piggyback mode -- i.e. not piggyback on existing events such as
LinuxTag and LSM. I'm not against that approach; it's a good way to
reach a broader range of people as well, and cheaper, but it's also
important to show people that Python can stand on its own.

I think introductory Python tutorials would be good to have at the
Python conference; part of the exercise is to interest non-Pythoneers
in Python, and tutorials are good in that respect.

Regards,

Martijn