[EuroPython] spacetime

Marc Poinot Marc.Poinot@onera.fr
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:28:12 +0100

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Problem with planning this near LSM is that we may expose people to a
> Python overdose, and that this will mean we get less people at each
> event.. Of course LSM's planning started earlier.. What do we do? There's
> only so much summer 2002 to shift around in, and nothing gets us that
> far off in time from LSM. But if the events take place shortly after each
> other, it's important to coordinate things very well, and to make people
> know the events are related.

I think Europython has not the same target as LSM. As a matter of fact LSM was
more a Debian Linux meeting, with some extras from place to place.
It's more a developper place, nost of them using software as a hobby, not
for their own job.
The Python topic in there was something like "Hey, we're there, come and
have a look a Python."

Don't be afraid by Python overdose, as long as you can balance your budget.
By the way, Python is a constrictor, it doesn't inherits from venimous.

> I think introductory Python tutorials would be good to have at the
> Python conference; part of the exercise is to interest non-Pythoneers
> in Python, and tutorials are good in that respect.

Non-Pythoneers would not come to a Python event ? Would they ? Maybe they
would prefer to have a look at it before going for one, two or three
days in a Python event.
When I'm interested in a new technical point, I use to read docs (yes :),
try it by myself, etc... Then I decide to go to an event, and I'm ready
to pay for it.
Thus, I think it's better to focus on "high" level tutorial, with
solution topics for supercomputing, banks, webs, real-time control,
system administration, etc... We can have some workshops with real
case studies: yes can I do a format translator in half an hour,
yes all the XML tools are there just pick them up, yes I can do FFT, etc...
People would leave the event with Python solutions, instead of some new
language questions.

One more point is that many European people are frustrated by the IPC
events (or even O'Reilly confs), because a week in the USA is far more
expensive than three days elsewhere in Europe (except Monaco).
The Brussel place is the right place for the European Python community.

Marcvs [alias but AFAIK there're using Visual Basic Deuterium Edition in Monaco]