[EuroPython] determining a time

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:16:18 +0100

Hi there,

For quite a number of reasons being more definite on the date to hold
the conference is very important. In part this depends on Guido, but
I hope he has some flexibility to adjust his plans still. It also
depends on the location, and the location also depends on the date :)

We also need such a date for press releases and general PR for it. We
need a date so potential visitors can start planning for it.

The main constraints are:

  * summer of 2002

  * no overlap with other large events in Europe (LinuxTag, LSM, etc)

I'm still concerned about the whole LSM thing. We need to discuss this for
a bit more before we can reach a conclusion on the time.

One proposal was from Marc Poinot. He suggested having the LSM Python event
in Bourdoux double up as a conference crew pre-meeting.

Questions there are still about logistics: it's probably better to be
on-site if we want a meeting to prepare things and not away in Bourdoux.
What's the logistical situation there? There's also a question about
willingness -- who will be able to show up at two events?

Martin von Loewis indicated that he'd not go to LSM for the Python parts
of it only (though perhaps for the rest) if there's a conference to be
held as well. I suspect many people will share this sentiment; after
all people only have so much time.

I do however feel guilty if our conference inadvertantly makes Marc Poinot
and co-organizers unhappy. I much prefer working together.

More opinions on this would be very useful.

Regards,

Martijn