[EuroPython] determining a time

Marc Poinot Marc.Poinot@onera.fr
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:17:24 +0100

> > Humph, Denis is working on all this, we even discussed in Paris (after the
> > congress), together with Joachim, about the best time schedule. I don't
> > understand, why you don't talk with Denis about this. He's the one with the
> > idea to start a EuroPython event in the first place.
>
> We *are* talking to Denis, aren't we? He's on the list, after all. But
> yes, Denis is doing a lot of great work on the location and had independently
> the idea about a European Python event before (he said he'd been
> considering having one for a year already when I contacted him, and he
> already contacted Guido as well).

At the time ONERA was a PSA Member, back in 1999, we organized the first Python
event in Europe, and it really was successful, we had 100 people.
At this time we had contact with Christian Tismer to have the German community
with us. And as a matter of fact, we had about 20 German people there.
See ONERA web site archives.
The idea at this time was to make an European event, but I didn't wanted to called
it European because of the lack of European co-operation.

In 2000, ONERA didn't want to put money again in such an event.
In 2001, I had the chance to join LSM to have a Python event again. This helps a lot
         to have an ready-to-use place, even if this was not the Marriot by the sea.
In 2002, there will be a Python event in Bordeaux.

And now here's the story to come....

In 2002, the first EuroPython took place... with about 350 registrations.
In 2003, the US Python gurus made their first European tour, gathering 7 events
         in Belgium, UK, Germany, Italia, Spain and France... and hum, yes Neetherlands.
In 2004, IPC took place in Berlin
In 2005, Python gurus are moving to Europe, US Python users are complaining and asking
         for a major event on their side of the sea.

Now, maybe the Zope community think they *are* the Python community. I don't think
so. Most of the people I met in these events where web-developpers of course, but there
also was a lot of scientists. Please do *not* reduce the Python community to the Zope
subset of Python users. The Numerical Python package is used *a lot*.

Again, LSM will happen. If you want to use this place for any form of pre-event,
you're welcome. We can also use LSM as a platform for a post-Europython briefing.
Or you can also ignore LSM, I'm pretty sure it's not a problem, because the audience
are not the same. I'll be at EuroPython (you can recognize me, because I'm missing
the left part of my brain).

Now, the point is not who gets the idea, but who can actually *do*
something. Last year, many people had ideas about what could be best. The
fact is that this year, I'm alone again...

In 2000 nothing happens, in 2002 there are two events... great !

Marcvs [alias Maybe you shouldn't have to take care about LSM, if you can organize
        a first event I think it would be better before LSM. Marc-Andre suggested
        to be close to holiday, but you'll have a student audience, not a bussiness one.]