[EuroPython] Zope track: Educational Modelling Language

Georg Pleger Georg.Pleger@uibk.ac.at
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:03:34 +0200

Hello Paul!
Hello EuroPython!

It=B4s my first time on your list, so here is a short self introduction:
(I know that this is not the place for dicussion on this stuff.)=20

I=B4m working for the University of Innsbruck (Department of Education), =
the=20
Tiroler Bildungsservice (the network of all Tyrolean educational institut=
ions)=20
and the Austrian educational portal run by our Ministry of Education.
My focus is the production and reuse of standardized (e)learning material=
s.

Major concepts for the XML-based production of didactical sophisticated=20
learning materials have been formulated in the Educational Modelling Lang=
uage=20
(EML http://eml.ou.nl ), developed at the Open University of the Netherla=
nds.=20
These concepts will be merged with other developtments in the area of=20
standardization of learning materials like SCORM, LOM and IMS=20
(www.imsglobal.org).

Now it=B4s time to implement these standards in tools that are available =
for all=20
educational institutions and contexts from primary education up to univer=
sity=20
and adult education. So an opensource approach is the obvious way to go.

At the University of Helsinki Zope was used for the learning environment =
FLE=20
(Future Learning Environment, http://fle3.uiah.fi ). FLE uses parts of th=
e=20
Educational Modelling Language as an export format. Now there are first p=
lans=20
with partners in the Netherlands to use Zope as the framework for an auth=
oring=20
environment for EML.=20

I would like to contribute with my educational standardization background=
 to=20
better use the great potential of Zope in the area of (e)learning.
I don=B4t want to promise too much, so please give me three more weeks to=
 figure=20
out what kind of prototype we will be able to present in Charleroi
(proposal for my presentation: Zope as an authoring environment for EML).

I=B4m new to your community and aware that there have been some activitie=
s in=20
this field like Zope-Edu and others. But so far I don=B4t know enough abo=
ut=20
these activities and what are the actual plans there.

Comments, pointers to contacts etc welcome!

Thanks for your great job so far!
Looking forward to meet you in Charleroi =20

Georg Pleger
University of Innsbruck, Austria
OpenSource AG
tel: +43 512 933 682