[EuroPython] Todo list for euro python and zope conf.

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:03:12 +0100

Alastair Burt wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>
> > Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> > >
> > > THe ASWAD team has had much success in preparing its documents for a recent
> > > proposal directly in structured text in a cmf wiki prepared by Alastair Burt
> > > (thanks again Alastair). THanks to him, it was possible to extract
> > > automatically the text into a pdf of html file to be exported or mailed.
>
> The way I did it was not very sophisticated.
>
>   - The Wiki had a Python call to return an HTML verison of the Wiki page
>     without the comments at the bottom.
>
>   - I used Zope's templating language to stitch the HTML together into one
>     big file.
>
>   - For tables etc., I forgot the structured text and just used HTML
>     directly.
>
>   - I passed the HTML to "html2ps":http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2psug.html
>     to get a PostScript file.
>
>   - I passed the PostScript to
>     "ps2pdf":http://stat.tamu.edu/doc/gs/Ps2pdf.htm to get the final PDF.
>
> The resulting document looks reasonably clean -- you can use style sheets
> with html2ps, and TeX hyphenation files. A more politically correct
> architecture would be to generate XML-FOP code directly from the structured
> text DOM tree, but I did not have the time to hack that up.

If it's only about converting HTML to PDF I could help: Acrobat5 has a nice
web capture tool which converts HTML into PDF rather nicely, e.g. we
could go from the "print" view of wiki directly to PDF.

The only problem is that it's manual work, but if we only do
this for finished documents, it should be within range :-)

> > > I would suggest putting a TODO management tool (what has to be done, with
> > > what urgency/priority, who will do it ...) in place too. I don't know such a
> > > zope tool yet, but I am very intrested in getting to know such a product, and
> > > I would suspect it not to be too difficult to develop in zope for someone who
> > > knows zope better than I am.
> >
> > That would be nice, however, we don't have time to wait for someone
> > to write up such a tool. Let's just use a plain text file (or wiki)
> > for this.
>
> I used a Zope Wiki hack here, too. If you put the WikiName ToDoAlastair in
> Wiki pages that Alastair has to fill out, then 'ToDoAlastair/backlinks'
> will give you a clickable list of all those pages.
>
> I must say, I quite like structured text and Wikis, but not everyone
> does. Many of the ASWAD partners just emailed me .doc files of content that
> I pasted into the Wiki myself.

I don't have Zope experience, but if europython.org will use Zope
then adding the ZWiki shouldn't be much of a problem (in theory ;-).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH