[EuroPython] Python tracks/topics

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:49:26 +0100

Tim Couper wrote:
> Marc-Andre wrote
> > I could help organize one of the Python tracks...
> > which topics
> > are we talking about ? I'd be interested in a web
> > services track
> > (even though there is currently one at IPC10, this
> > is a hot
> > subject).
>
> The subject certainly would bear a revisit, as I'm
> sure that European techies are just as confused about
> SOAP and our US counterparts.
>
> I'd suggest an intro which covered XML-RPC and then
> SOAP (differentiating between its XML-RPC
> manifestation and its XML wrapping functionality).
> Paul Prescod has material which I'm sure could be
> reused here.

And perhaps even more importantly, the web services stuff that often is built
on top of these RPC layers that actually nobody really knows about yet (at
least I don't, and I work with the web daily).

Anyway, Marc-Andre and Tim Couper are now in the team responsible for figuring
out how we'll proceed on web services and the like at EuroPython.

> I spoke with Mike Olson from 4Suite, who said that he
> was considering coming to the conference anyway. He
> and Uche did some really good presentations in the Web
> Services track, covering the whole XML space,
> including, among other things, RDF. Depending on the
> experience level of the attendees, we could maybe have
> an intro to XML, including SAX and DOM for those who
> only know how to spell them. Again, the 4Suite guys
> may be good at this.

There's an overlap with the XML stuff here. I'm interested in XML myself,
though not directly from a web services point of view (more for document
storage/editing/retrieval/searching). We can do something about XML,
definitely. Martin von Loewis knows about this conference and may be willing
to work on this too, for instance.

[snip]
> This is the area I'm very interested in, and would be
> offer to run this track; whether it is called "Python
> and Business" or more like "Python in the Real World".

I know Andy Robinson (I think) said he was interested in such a
thing as well.

> One of the weaknesses of open source systems is the
> almost complete absence of a marketing presence; this
> is considered a virtue by many :-). However, it is
> clear that the quality or effectiveness of technology
> per se does not cause it to be adopted; on the
> contrary, it is consumer perception, which is why
> companies employ marketing people!
>
> BTW In this context, I think that Jython can also be a
> key entry point; are we planning to have anything on
> that topic from a technical perspective?

Don't we have a bunch of European Jython hackers? Now what's his name..
Right, Finn Bock in Denmark. I've just sent off an email to him asking
if he's interested.

> Anyway, the outcome of this track should be
> participants leaving with "models" and greater
> understanding of the external world in which
> developers and vendors reside, and tools and
> strategies which can be practically employed to
> further the growth of Python. The lightning talks idea
> is a good one, ensuring that contributors are clear
> that their talk needs to add to the body of knowledge
> about the hows and whys of the adoption (or
> non-adoption) of Python/Jython within the
> organisation, or the successful routes to sales of
> product which have a Python/Jython content, and how
> they have had to shape their product presentations to
> suit their customers' perspectives. It would be good
> to hear Andy Robinson, for instance, on the subject.
>
> This of course assumes that the partipants in the
> conference will be interested in more than just the
> technology...

I certainly would be; Infrae (my company) is a small Python/Zope startup.
I think this could definitely draw some interest.

Regards,

Martijn