[EuroPython] Python tracks/topics

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:05:26 +0100

Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:

> Just to propose a summary so far about the tracks for the Europython/zope
> conference:

Could we have this as Wiki page too ?

(I have applied some minor corrections below)

> + intro about XML-RPC and then SOAP (differentiating between its RPC
> manifestation and its XML wrapping functionality).
>    * possibly reuse Paul Prescod's material
>    * discuss web services built on top of these RPC layers
>    * proposed by Tim Couper <tim@2wave.net> and Marc-Andre Lemburg <mal@egenix.com>
>
> + have Mike Olson and Uche from FourThough Inc. do a presentation in a Web
> Services track, covering the whole XML space, including SAX and DOM and
> among other things, RDF
>    * proposed by Tim Couper <tim@2wave.net>
>
> + Martijn <faassen@vet.uu.nl> does something about XML for document storage/
> editing/ retrieval/ searching. Martin von Loewis may be willing to work on
> this too
>
> + Tim, Marc-Andre and Andy Robinson are intrested in running a "Python
>  and Business" or more like "Python in the Real World" track
>
> + I <nicolas.pettiaux@openbe.org> am much interested in this too, even if not
> able to contribute much else witht than the marketing that a public support
> initiative can provide. (I just can say that I work much with my service
> providers and colleagues in other public administration stating that I want
> Python and ZOPE developments)
>
> + Have a Jython presentation with European Jython hackers Finn Bock in
> Denmark who Martijn is contacting
>
> + have a presentation in the business track letting deciders (ie. non
> technicians) know and understand why having their developpements team use
> python/jython/zope and contributing to a knowledge body is good for them,
> from a business perspective.
>
> I suppose I could contribute here, maybe with Didier Georgieff
> <Didier.GEORGIEFF@agriculture.gouv.fr> from SIT du Bas Rhin, as we are more
> on the "consumer" side (deciders and prescriptors) and are convinced already.
>
> (Side note: soon I  plan to open a RFP for my administration to gather people
> who could in Europe offer python and zope developpment. )
>
> + Joseph Santaniello <someone@arbitrary.org> proposes to helps with "his
> experiences bucking the trend and navigating the political
> intrigues necessary to get the finance company where he work to adopt
> Python and Zope for it's most critical systems will provide some
> interesting background for part of the development of such a track."

In summary we now have the following tracks:

1. Python and Jython
2. Zope
3. Web Services
4. Python in the Real World

Now we have three days available. Question is how to organize these
three days. We could follow IPCn:

26.06.: Tutorial Day
27.06.: Conference Day
28.06.: Developers Day

or maybe just have two conference days (I tend to have a feeling
that dev days don't really generate much significant output).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH