[EuroPython] Python tracks/topics

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas.pettiaux@ael.be
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:43:56 +0100

Le Lundi 11 F=E9vrier 2002 09:42, Marc Poinot a =E9crit :
> > In summary we now have the following tracks:
> >
> > 1. Python and Jython
> > 2. Zope
> > 3. Web Services
> > 4. Python in the Real World
>
> Again, you're all focusing on web/internet... But it's funny you
> wrote point 4 was the real world, i.e. everything else but web :)
> Java, Zope, web... all these are, of course, very important for some
> bussiness today. I should say, I has been ?

This is just the field I am focused on now.

> Most of the people I know are using Python in the scientific world.

It depends on everyone's background and main field of interest=20

> I always present Python as a gluing and/or prototyping langage,=20

so do I.  This is indeed independat of the metiers; can be business as we=
ll=20
as science or any field

> and
> you can see with Numerical Python or other scientific modules, there
> is a not-internet-related Python community.

right

> As a matter of fact, this community is less fluent with web-things,
> mailing lits, dedicated web site, etc...
> This morning I saw a yet-another-module-for-MPI announce.
>
> I propose some scientific related Python use, but I must admit this wil=
> imply I'll have to fill the topic with some presentations...

You are very welcome, but I think you are right: you'll have to come with=
 the=20
people and the presentations.

> David Ascher ? Konrad Hinsen ? Paul Dubois ? could brightly open
> such a topic. Then we can have about 5/10 papers of scientific
> users in Europe (At least German (DLR) and French aerospace industry ;)

I would be really interested to see suc topics about scientific uses of=20
Python.

> I also propose something related with internationalisation, experts are
> very close to us and it's worth being mentioned that Python is ready fo=
> that.

Yes definitively, a internationalisation track would be welcome .=20

As well as a track "Python in computer education" I think.

> Then the last topic I would suggest is DBMS-related topics. You think w=
eb
> is the most important because every company has a web... but there ofte=
> are more than one database in every company. And there probably is one
> DBMS behind every web. As far as I remember, C. Tismer has worked on DB=
MS
> for one of its customer ? Maybe he could be the topic benevolvs-dictarv=
r ?

Goo idea too

> See Python home site topics, these main topics already are there.
>
> > 1. Python and Jython
> > 2. Zope
> > 3. Web Services
>
>   4. Python for scientific World (and Galactic if possible)
>   5. Databases on earth and Python

Nicolas
--=20
Nicolas Pettiaux
Association =E9lectronique libre pour la promotion des=20
droits de l'Homme dans la Soci=E9t=E9 de l'information (AEL) -
www.ael.be=20