[EuroPython] Python tracks/topics

Joseph Santaniello someone@arbitrary.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:35:37 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 at 08:54, Tim Couper wrote:

> OK. So we're agreed broadly about the scope. However,
> we do need to get the right topic title, 'cos if we're
> confused, it'll be 10x worse for attendees!

Right! So what do we call it?

> "Suits". While it's unlikely that members of this
> species will appear at a Python conference (it being
> perceived as a techy conference), what's probably

Hey, I'm coming! ;-) But seriously, is it being percieved as a techy
conference? I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, but I guess we
should have a good idea of the demographic of the expected group.

> wanted is a clear presentation of the arguments and
> resources that can be used/available to win hearts and
> minds of such persons. This is one of the key thoughts
> behind the Python and Business track (perhaps
> "Business" is misleading). With that as a goal, I
> think we need case studies based on "this is the
> organisation and its mindset, here's what we did and
> here's how we changed it (or failed to change it and
> why)". Clearly this is applicable to anyone who's
> trying to use python in their work - either in the
> commercial or scientific domains. I'm unsure how much
> interest/overlap there is between these 2 domains,
> insofar as the "suit" problems being addressed overlap
> - although one does need arguments for both managerial
> "Suits" and technical "Prima Donnas". Maybe we should
> call the session "My mind's made up; don't confuse me
> with the facts" ...
>
> Anyway, looking at practicalities, if this is where we
> want to go, I wonder if we could have a series of
> 10-15 minute talks, say for an afternoon, asking
> presenters to focus on the issues which enabled them
> to succeed in introducing, or reinforcing the use of,
> Python in their organisation, and can follow it with a
> BOF for those who'd like to develop or promote any
> ideas further.

I think that's a good approach. Several 15 minute presentations would
probably be more effective than one long presentation. Then as you say a
BOF since this issue is probably well suited to free-form discussions.

Add my 2 cents (or 2.2742 eurocents...) to that sentiment.

Joseph

PS: Actually some Monty-Python-esque tounge-in-cheek title like "My mind's
made up; don't confuse me with the facts" if we get it just right may do a
better job of conveying what we are trying to say than some potentially
confusing "positive" title.