[EuroPython] AW: Sprints and some ideas for it

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:24:18 +0100

Laura Creighton wrote:
> > I do not think MS integration should be the target of a sprint though;
> > don't think you'll too many hackers with that. And I'd say sprints are for
> > hackers primarily, not for business people. :)

> I had enormous success at an open source conference where we just
> took requests from business people and fixed them up with solutions.
> A team had 3 hours to produce one.  The whole idea was to impress
> business people that you could actually order an open source solution
> to any problem you had.  Admittedly, this conference was put on
> by idependent open source consultants who had come there to impress
> the hell out of the suits so they could get nice new paying
> contracts --- but there is nothing in my experience that says we
> are in any way short of such people in the python community.  So
> I would say, give it a chance.

I'd like to give that a chance, if there are people willing to organize
that. But I'd like to separate that from a 'sprint', which I selfishly
think should be more hacker-oriented (lower level infrastructure and
abstractions and such, by hackers for hackers). But there's no reason
we can't have both (or either, given time and motivation).

Regards,

Martijn