[EuroPython] Conference title (Press Release German finished)

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:26:20 +0100

Dinu Gherman wrote:
[snip]
> Worse even, look at it from a sponsor's point of view: why
> should O'Reilly pay anything for a conference that is 50%
> about the product of one particular company as expressed
> in its very title?

Zope is an open source project and a lot bigger than just one company.

> Why isn't this particular company a main
> sponsor of the event? Mega-worse: why should O'Reilly
> pay for Guido's ticket, say, when he actually represents
> Zope corporation?? See what I mean?

No, I don't understand what you mean here.

> The more I think about it the more reasons I find to mention
> Zope only from the subtitle to the rest of the announcement,
> very prominently, but not in the title. It reduces all kinds of
> sources for confusion.

What about the following attempt at a deal -- we'll remove the word
Zope from the title and move it to a subtitle. In return, we'll get
the agreement from the people pushing for this that we'll also all
commit to doing sufficient PR to get the European Zope users to show up.
Naturally the Zope team will do the brunt of this work, but I'd like
to avoid getting any more complaints, and in fact some support.
As an example, we may want to organize a Zope3 sprint and invite a prominent
Zope architect over as a keynote speaker. That probably requires something
from the conference budget.

How does that sound?

Regards,

Martijn