AW: [EuroPython] BudgetTeam: Europython Conf Organisation

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:11:11 +0100

> > Hmm... to summarize the replies:
> >
> > I think we all agree that the Conference Organisation has to be some
sort of
> > non-profit-society.
>
> While it's desirable to form a non-profit organization, we
> don't have the time for this. In order to become non-profit, one
> usually has to go through a few hoops to get the official
> status.

Not in Sweden. IIRC, as soon as you have a constituent meeting , a signed
excerp (sp?) of the protocol describing how the board was elected (and who
they are) and a signed document describing who are on the board and who are
the legal representatives of the association you are official. What takes
time is to get the bank account (about 1 day i think). A postgirot account
takes a few more days.

> More important than the non-profit status is IMHO that the
> people who will run the conference are legal part of the
> association and that the aim of that organization is
> somehow set in stone with a focus on the conference.

The associations by-laws guarnatee this. An important part of this in Sweden
is that membership be voluntary.

Now, if there are *other* reasons for this association to be based in a
particular contry, then those reasons should be put forth and explained.
Else, does it matter? I say choose the one with least adminstrative
buerocracy.

/dario

Dario Lopez-Kästen     Systems Developer  Chalmers Univ. of Technology
dario@ita.chalmers.se  ICQ will yield no hits    IT Systems & Services