[EuroPython] EuroPython Legal Structure

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:00:39 +0100

Denis Fr=E8re wrote:
>=20
> Le Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:42:24PM +0100, Martijn Faassen pianota:
> > M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > > Are we read to get the ball rolling then ?
> >
> > Sure, I'm ready. :)
>=20
> Happy man ! I wish I could say the same words.

Great work, though, Denis !
=20
> Fran=E7ois (a P3B member) is working on putting the bylaws online.
> Other points will follow.

Great. Please see the wiki for the complete TODO list:

	http://europython.zope.nl/draftwiki/LegalBody
=20
> For me, I have no much time left for those pleasures, nowadays.
> I have to struggle a lot to have our local authorities defining which
> amount of help they will offer. I've not yet had the least written
> confirmation up to now, though they have a "renting-option" (?) on the
> CEME at those dates. The option is valid until march 22.

Why not make use of that option until we get full approval of
the Charleroi support ?! Now that we have settled the legal
issues I think we can move forward with confidence.
=20
> Don't forget they don't know Python. They don't quite understand in
> which game they are playing. So they keep stepping forward and backward.
> The Mayor is the one who will say the last word, but he's as difficult
> to reach as God ! I've been hanging on the telephone during more than 5
> hours, today again, and we're progressing at a snail pace.
>=20
> My problem is they keep asking me :
>=20
> - How many visitors will we have ?
>  Let's remember the main auditorium has 280 seats only, but I've been
>  told it could be extended up to 400 seats by some magic trick. What if
>  we have 500 visitors ? The only factual (and quite impressive) thing
>  is that we're 100 subcribed people to the organisation mailing-list.
>  Will everyone attend and bring at least 4 visitors whith him ?

I'd estimate around 300 visitors. IPC conference don't have many
more either... but then, if they intend to invite half the city,
we'll have to make room for 400-500, I guess.
=20
> - What is the program ?
>  Will there be really accessible presentation for simple human beings ?

The tutorials ?!=20
Some business talks will certainly be.

>  Will the the presentations be translated ?

The business talks will be held in English.
Not sure about the tutorials. In general, I think English
should be the language of choice in most parts of the
conference.

>  Why would it be interresting for local population ?

To get to know interesting people from all other Europe and
many other parts of the world. The city could also have interest
in Python for their own IT department.
=20
> - How many rooms and which infrastructure will we need ?

At least 3 conference rooms, 1 network room with Ethernet
Internet access, coffee lounge, room for booths, poster
stands, conference signup.

>  Will there be hands-on tutorials ?
>  How many machines ?

Good question. Who is going to do the tutorials ?

>  What for a network do we need ?

10BaseT-Ethernet
=20
> - Which private sponsors will we have ?
>  But the prospected sponsors want answers to the same questions.
>=20
> - What will be the entrance fee ?

Depends on the budget... BudgetTeam ?=20

I suppose we go for something like EUR 250 for the=20
whole conference, or EUR 100 per day. Students pay half.

That's cheap for a conference ! (Less is of course better,
but I doubt the budget will provide for this)

>  If we're making benefits, will they get something back ?

We won't make any money: P3B is non-profit. In fact,
it is more likely we'll have to pay on top, just like
Foretec that last two or three times.
=20
> - ... and such things.
>=20
> I've no precise answers to give.
>=20
> And from the sponsors point of view, now. I've had a meeting with
> a potential sponsor that is a good sample. They could :
> - pay for a booth during the conference
>  (how much is it exactly ?)

Should be announced on:

	http://europython.zope.nl/draftwiki/ConferenceExhibitors

I'd say EUR 1000,00 per booth is a good ball point figure.
We might need to ask for more, though, depending on how
many booths we can have.

> - provide us with telephone support, secretary work and so on
>  (is the extra-work taken into account for their bill ?)
> - send for us a written invitation to 4000 SME and schools
> but they want to be sure Charleroi is really fully supporting the
> conference, thay want to know if there will be an Internet based
> broadcasting, they want to know the answers to the same questions
> the Town is asking, ...
>=20
> Could we have pre-registration forms (speakers, sponsors and visitors)
> where good-will people could give us as much information as possible
> to try to find answers to these questions ?
> Tom will be in our office tomorrow afternoon and we'll discuss the
> point since it's a web related matter and he's in the web team.
>=20
> And those mails are so long to write ! ;-)
>=20
> One thing is sure : I'm making a terrible fuss here with our
> conference. Everyone will have heard about Python in the whole
> region. :-)

Good work !
=20
--=20