[EuroPython] Presentations online

Nicola Larosa nico@tekNico.net
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:35:39 +0200

First, I apologize for having been harsh. I just don't feel like being told
to shut up. And a good part of is actually was tongue-in-cheek, after all.

> In order for things to actually **get done** we all have to concede some
> amount of control to the people actually doing the work.  Sometimes this
> means living with decisions we don't like.  We have to be mature enough
> as a group to let the decision-makers make decisions, without extreme
> claims of "censorship" when your position doesn't win.

Sorry, Paul, I don't buy this.

Sure, the charter of this list is the organization of Europython, sure,
three people have been delegated some powers, sure, we have to accept their
decisions, if we wish to let them work.

But in this case the work *had already been done*. The stuff was already on
the site, and this decision does not build anything, just takes something back.

Such a policy decision better be sustained by a clear consensus. Instead,
one member of the executive committee openly chooses to ignore the opinions
of a substantial chunk of the contributing people, and takes back something
valuable, while shutting down any contrary opinion.

A case of "public servant gone bad", if I ever saw one.

Besides, wasn't all this about open access to tools and information? Suppose
right now speakers put slides and papers on sites of their own, what are you
going to do, ask them to take those down?

--
"Too much cleverness in the parser can turn against you."
   Guido Van Rossum

Nicola Larosa - nico@tekNico.net