[EuroPython] Brochure

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 01:05:03 +0200

Tom Deprez wrote:
> I want to draw a line on what happened today. This is clearly the
> *worst* scenario on how to start a conference.

I can think of a few worse scenarios, like the conference losing money,
or nobody showing up, or it being full of geeks who only talk about
programming languages (oh, wait..no, that is fun! :)

We got a few ruffled feathers here and there, and so we make a bit of
noise, but my feathers are already unruffling quite nicely.

> I'm glad to say that this
> is at least something where we can say that we all share credit for it.
> I think I can see several people smile now, when reading this list...
> (nodding they were right about their ideas on EP)
>
> To tell you the truth, I'm a lot afraid of what will happen on
> wednesday, I'm scared to show my face at the conference. Perhaps I'm the
> only one with this feeling, but this is really not the climate we
> intended to create.

It wasn't nice for a couple of posts, but nothing I hope a moderate
amount of Belgian beer together can't fix! And though people were upset
for a bit, that doesn't mean we want to kick your face in. Kissing is
closer, but don't worry, I won't do that either. :)

> Nobody speaks up anymore, nobody brings in a solution (proposing a
> solution, but not working it out, is no solution)

I'm sorry if I participated in that..

> 1) I think because of what happened today, nobody earns credit,

ho hum. You certainly deserve credit, and so do a lot of other people,
like MAL and Denis and Nicolas and MAL's assistant and maybe Torvald the
cat even who helped keep tensions down here at Infrae.

[snip decisions]

Okay.

> I've learned a lot during these last months, I think it is part of
> growing up. I had a more idyllic picture, but learned that it isn't.
> Now, I hope that we can still have a good EuroPython without too much
> hard feelings. Let's put these aside and make something nice out of it.

Surely! A few storms in a teacup in the bigger picture.

> I only hope that some broken pots can still be glued.

In any human endeavour there will be friction once every while. My
pot certainly isn't broken and I sincerely hope I didn't kick in
anyone else's pot either.

And remind me to buy you a beer.

Thanks,

Martijn