[EuroPython] Payment, taxes, accounting, badges

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 01 May 2002 12:49:51 +0200

Before we setup the payment devices, there are some things
to consider:

* Which Belgium VAT taxes do apply to conference fees and
  how does the P3B corporate status have an effect on this ?
  The standard VAT rate is 21%, but there are also reduced
  ones, e.g. 12% which might apply. P3B should ask their
  accountant for this one.

* Should the conference fees we've discussed be inclusive
  VAT or exclusive (inclusive probably makes handling a
  lot easier) ?
  We might have to raise the fees a bit to accomodate for
  the ShareIT fees and the VAT (together they add up to
  about 26% if the standard VAT rate applies). This is
  serious money, so very important to keep in mind.

* You can setup ShareIT accounts to EUR and USD fixed
  amounts (the others are then calculated using the day's
  exchange rate). I'd suggest to do everything in EUR.

* You can also setup ShareIT to get email notifications
  of every sale and to have it automatically send out
  an registration ID. The IDs can be given to ShareIT
  upfront so we are in control here and could use them
  as proof of payment (e.g. attendees could print out the
  email they receive as proof -- makes conference checkin
  easier). The emails have a standard format which makes
  them parseable, but the same data is also available
  via the ShareIT control panel in form of a CSV file
  which is easy to download and store into a database.
  Again, this might help the registration desk at the
  conference.

* P3B should check which information they need from
  the registrants for proper accounting, e.g. EU
  companies can use their VAT ID in payment and then
  don't have to pay VAT.
  For that to work, P3B must have it's own VAT ID
  which it can easily get from the local revenue
  service.

* We need to print badges for the conference attendees.
  Can someone take care of this ? (Should be easy
  using the ShareIT account data + the data from the
  speakers)

We need to assign someone to each of these bullets.
Unfortunately, P3B will have most of the work load
here.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH