[EuroPython] Payment, taxes, accounting, badges

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 04 May 2002 17:15:42 +0200

Denis Fr=E8re wrote:
>=20
> Le Wed, May 01, 2002 at 04:16:59PM +0200, Tom Deprez pianota:
> > > Le Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:49:51PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg pianota:
> > >
> > > Up to now, P3B has no VAT account. I don't think it's required, but
> > > it's possible to get one. Do you really think we should take one ?
> >
> > Please, ask this to your accountant, he/she should know if we need a =
VAT.
>=20
> I know that P3B don't *need* one, but *may* have one.
> Do visitors would be interrested in P3B having a VAT number ?
> - Yes if we consider 200 EUR is a VAT included price
> - No if the conference price is 200 EUR + VAT
>=20
> In the first case, they will just have a 200 EUR expense.
> In the last case, they would have a 165 EUR expense + 35 EUR VAT
> but then EuroPython would have 165 EUR (gross) benefit and Belgium VAT
> administration a 35 EUR benefit for each visitor.
> If EuroPython wants to earn 200 EUR/vistor, then the entrance fee must
> be 242 EUR.
>=20
> Tell me if I'm wrong.

I can't tell you, but your account can. You'll have to ask him
whether P3B has to charge VAT on the conference fee or not.
Depending on the corporation status of P3B and how conferences
are treated with respect to VAT in Belgium this may or may
not be the case.

In any case, we need to be very careful about this, since if
we get this wrong, P3B may be held liable for the VAT by the
revenue service, leaving P3B with unexpected "costs" of
more than EUR 15.000 (400 * 0,21 * 200 EUR) !

Note: We need to know this *before* going public with the=20
payment interface.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH