[EuroPython] Internet lines

Tim Couper tim@2wave.net
Wed, 8 May 2002 13:54:31 +0100 (BST)

I agree with Andy. We shouldn't be expected to provide
internet access. The ACCU event went better because of
the absence of e-distraction. It could be that the
exhibitor/table-space-renters and session leaders have
forgotten stuff (which was the only case I know of
where an exhibitor needed e-access). But I do not
think it is our responsibility to ask Denis to do
additional work to compensate for our inadequacies in
this regard; he has quite enough to do.

Tim

> Since this is a computer conference, we really do
need both power
> and internet access, even if that costs more.

It is not just the cost, it is the work. This
stuff must be locally organised which means it
is bound to fall on poor Denis.

At the ACCU conference there was no internet access.
(Actually there was one direct phone line, but we were
under orders not to tel anyone or there would have
been
50 people checking email).  It worked fine; people
talked
to each other instead of hacking.  And we did not even
have Belgian beer to inspire our conversations :-)