[EuroPython] EPC2003: program + length + public + fees

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 20:42:23 +0200

Magnus Lycka wrote:

> Honestly, this idea of walking around with coloured bagdes seem
> a bit odd to me. Is it really so difficult for people to meet
> and communicate that we need to be tagged? I'm interested in
> all sorts of theings, and I'd like to be open for all sorts of
> events. This feels a bit square to me. I don't like being labeled!

Corner idea is really good. And I agree that there is a problem being
labeled, but there is certain pros about labels. Think about 200 persons
in a bar. Certain sub-cultures have their own labels for making meeting
people a lot easier. For example in certain gay cultures wearing a
certain clothes having accessories etc. mean different things: some sign
  is a signal for just having one night stand, some signs are for a
certain type of extreme sex etc. ,--)

Signs and labels help people participating make the most out of their
time there, meeting and connecting with certain agenda in their mind. If
you don't have an agenda, then you can have no signs or all of the
signs. The meaning of a good visible sign is to say everyone without
words "HEY I AM INTERESTED IN THIS".

> Barcodes can be printed with ReportLab, right?
> So it's not such a high-tech thing, but it's hardly
> something to have in each stand I guess...
>
> If it could be of help in the registration process
> etc, maybe it shouldn't be ruled out?

Hey hey hey... I said that the barcode idea was implemented in real BIG
conference / expo, not that it should be implemented here. It doesn't
make sense in small groups. In a really big expo, where there are
thousands of participants from many different industries it makes sense
for vendors to get info of people visiting their stand by just scanning
a bar code - and seeing even seeing what they marked as their interests
beforehand.

,-)

-huima