[EuroPython] EPC2003: program + length + public + fees

holger krekel hpk@devel.trillke.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:40:10 +0100

[Nicolas Chauvat Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:11:41PM +0100]
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:28:22AM +0100, Tom Deprez wrote:
> > I still don't see why we need to seperate all the people. I honoustly
> > hate it when somebody puts me in square and tells me 'well, this is only
> > for X kind of people, you aren't an X person, so we don't want you
> > here'.
> > I always had the idea that people are complement to each other. A
> > business person needs the help from a programmer and a programmer can
> > learn from a business person as well.
> > If you put people in squares (are how do you say it in english), then it
> > looks more like privating your thingie.
>
> I agree, "putting labels on people is bad". But let me guess, you never had a
> lot of opportunities to be in touch with "business people" have you ? The
> ones that are interested in buying things and give work to your company
> when they do ?

I have this experience and i am not convinced that going for 'big'
businesses is what EuroPython should aim for.  There *were* a lot of
business contacts last time.  There is plenty of room for improvement
supporting business activities but i think it should be aimed at
smaller (pythonic:-) businesses.  Maybe do a "lightning business forum"
where people from companies just introduce themselves, their projects ,
their plans and possibly their job offers?  After all, there is no place like
EuroPython to look for experienced and *dedicated* python programmers!

regards & all the best,

    holger