[EuroPython] i18n and realted issues

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:34:31 +0200

At 07:20 2003-04-30 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>This is surely all off-topic for the EuroPython list, I'm also unsure
>what your messages aim at. Do you say such things to point out
>perceived bugs in Python, or to learn more about locales, or for some
>other reason?

Right. This became all too technical. Sorry. But the "percieved" bugs
are real. The locale module does not work as specified in the library
reference on Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP.

I wanted to bring the general issue of i18n and l16n up with the PBF, since
I think it's very relevant for Python use in business, but gets all too
little attention in python documentation, official as well as printed books
etc. I suspect you agree, since you seem to have been a python i18n champion
for years (six years at least).

I used the (on Windows) buggy locale module, and the lack of documentation
around this, to illustrate the problem. In general, it's easy to work with
Python, at least we tend to claim that, and our library reference and books
are very helpful, but here it fails.

I also felt that Europython ought to be an event where other people who
are interested in this issue will appear.

In general I hope we will find time to not only listen to prepared speeches
at Europython, but also discuss issues that we feel need improvement, and
to come up with solutions for that--in a PBF context or in some other way.

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se