[EuroPython] i18n and related issues

Harald Armin Massa ghum@gmx.net
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:18:08 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C30F2B.B4778D10

Magnus,

> A subject which is typically ignored in python books, and very =
relevant
> in a python business perspective is localization and =
internationalization.

It is very important to me.

Especially using Python together with windows ... the different charsets
take most of the "unproductive development time".

Different encodings in filenames, trying to send international =
characters
via COM, storing them in databases, cache them in strings....

even PyCrust often fails on international characters - starting from
tracebacks, not ending with total breakdown of the interactive shell.
PythonWin is not really different.

It's not a Python specific problem - it's enough to name files with
"=E4=FCml=E4ut" and look at them at a command shell, in windows explorer =
and a
file open dialog. (if you dare, do it with os.path.walk)

Everything concerning internationalisation is a sure bucked talk for me

Harald

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C30F2B.B4778D10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>Magnus,<BR><BR>&gt; A =
subject which is=20
typically ignored in python books, and very relevant<BR>&gt; in a python =

business perspective is localization and internationalization.<BR><BR>It =
is very=20
important to me.<BR><BR>Especially using Python together with windows =
... the=20
different charsets<BR>take most of the "unproductive development=20
time".<BR><BR>Different encodings in filenames, trying to send =
international=20
characters<BR>via COM, storing them in databases, cache them in=20
strings....<BR><BR>even PyCrust often fails on international characters =
-=20
starting from<BR>tracebacks, not ending with total breakdown of the =
interactive=20
shell.<BR>PythonWin is not really different.<BR><BR>It's not a Python =
specific=20
problem - it's enough to name files with<BR>"=E4=FCml=E4ut" and look at =
them at a=20
command shell, in windows explorer and a<BR>file open dialog. (if you =
dare, do=20
it with os.path.walk)<BR><BR>Everything concerning internationalisation =
is a=20
sure bucked talk for =
me<BR><BR><BR>Harald</FONT><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C30F2B.B4778D10--