[EuroPython] Voting and my other opinions

Martijn Faassen faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Aug 15 21:55:11 EDT 2003

Heimo Laukkanen wrote:
> I personally do not have any other opinion on the place for EPC - other
> than Göteborg is far closer to Finland than Charleroi. However I will
> participate no matter what, so my opinion should not count.

Well, I will participate too no matter where the location is, but that
doesn't mean I think my opinion shouldn't count. Anyway, as you follow up with
some considered opinions anyway I'm not worried you really believe yours
shouldn't count. :)

> What should count is:
>
>  1) Where is team able and willing to take the task - and carry out the
> full project till the end
>
>  2) Where participants are able and willing to travel to with moderate
> costs

That's a good point to make.

> How much does it change the total costs ( travel + conference +
> accomodation + food ) for people coming from Germany ( most participants
>  2003 if I am correct ) to change the event to Sweden? Will it make any
> difference?

That would be a good thing to evaluate. I expect it does make a difference
both in price and psychologically. It's easier to just jump in a car
from Germany to go to Belgium than a plane to fly to Sweden (though
if you're in the north there are ferry connections).

Then again, that would play in our favor too; Scandinavian countries may have
less population but they're particularly high-tech in my experience. So
we will attract more locals.

We could compensate for perceived and real increased distance by putting
some information on cheap connections on the homepage. Could anyone
whip up some figures on this?

Regards,

Martijn