[EuroPython] Budget

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 12:47:22 +0100

Paul Everitt wrote:
>=20
> On jeudi, f=E9v 6, 2003, at 10:15 Europe/Paris, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>=20
>> Just thought I start a new thread on this topic.
>>
>> As you may know we had a slightly red 0 as result of last years
>> event. Since was in charge for last years budget and won't be
>> in charge for this years, I have a few suggestions to make:
>>
>> One of the main cost factor were the invited speakers. Not because
>> Guido charged us half a million for his talk, but mainly due to
>> travelling and accomodation costs. I would like to suggest that we
>> don't fully pay up the invited speakers this year to make the
>> budget a less risky business. Perhaps we can fix the compensation
>> to say EUR 300,00 per invited speaker.
>=20
> I'm on the board for OSCOM and we had the same situation.  The same=20
> solution was proposed.  I think it is the right approach.
>=20
>> Another suggestion to reduce the risks is to charge the speakers
>> and organizers for the catering we have to pay for. Food was the
>> largest single budget item last year. Free entry is OK, but last
>> year we had to pay the food and drinks for 50 free entry attendees,
>> or EUR 2200,00, from the entry tickets of the other 200 attendees.
>=20
> I agree on this as well.

Thanks for you backup. By going for all three suggestions
the organizers could easily save at least EUR 5000 which
should make the budget much more reliable and safe for P3B.
That's quite a bit since we're talking of small budgets in the
30-35 kEUR area.

>> Finally, if someone has access to projectors and screens that
>> would really help, because renting these also costs around
>> EUR 2000,00 for the length of the conference.
>=20
> Wow!  That would certainly be a good one to eliminate.  However that=20
> will require insurance on the equipment.

Right, but that should be within a few hundred euro, if
it is not already included in the standard insurance of
the building.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH