[EuroPython] Re: EuroPython 2004 [Was: Thank you all - where do we do the same thing next year?]

Heimo Laukkanen huima@iki.fi
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:56:02 +0300

Denis Frère wrote:

> After having slept a few nights on the EPC-2003, we have made up our
> minds : yes, we will organize the 2004 edition again !

Excellent.

When I put news to Zopezen about Zopetrack slides, I will also publicize
this so that people can give ideas and comments also there, if they
don't read these lists.

> Other points ? Ask for what you want and we'll try to provide.

- More open spaces, free time to the schedule so that people can have
discussions

- Some evening program, for example on thursday - so that most of the
people - for example just within the tracks - would gather for dinner.

- More sprints before the conference

- Free beer

I just wonder that isn't there in Charleroi any business that would be
interested to get to support this large group of people and get them to
come into their restaurants or whatever.

> We will also ask you to get involved earlier : very early talk
> submission and very early registration (don't forget that if we succeed
> in attracting more people, hotel booking may become a concern).

This is actually something that could be helped with 'community' - ie.
if people near Charleroi would be able to take a person or two to sleep
at their house and naturally get something in return. I mean it is
always much more fun to really meet new people and spend time with them,
rather than see another standard hotel room.

And/or if it would be possible to get something for low budget travelers
- students etc., it could make a huge difference. A very good idea is to
match people together and rent apartments / houses for a week. I heard
atleast from one very succesfull project like this - and witnessed also
in Paris how this kind of approach brings people together and is
extremely fun.

Naturally there would need to be people to organise and point people to
right directions.

-huima