[EuroPython] Re: EuroPython 2004

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:53:59 +0100

Denis Fr=E8re <denis@aragne.com> writes:

>> And/or if it would be possible to get something for low budget travelers=
=20
>> - students etc., it could make a huge difference. A very good idea is to=
=20
>> match people together and rent apartments / houses for a week. I heard=20
>> atleast from one very succesfull project like this - and witnessed also=
=20
>> in Paris how this kind of approach brings people together and is=20
>> extremely fun.
>
> In 2002, we managed to get a sport center where about 40 of us have
> slept. But I can remember it was another big amount of time in setting
> up a small website with pictures, answering mails, getting the payments,
> etc.=20
> cf. http://europython.p3b.org/adeps

If we could get this again, that would be wonderful (from my POV).

> There is a another nice possibility : we could rent a whole center where
> 120 persons could sleep (dormitories). That's not very far (about 10=20
> km), it's in the wood, next to a sport track, there is an auditorium,
> plenty of space, a huge kitchen, ... We could have common evening
> activities, extra presentations, but then we should know early enough
> that many people are interested, we can't rent this kind of place for
> 10 students. Are there 100 people ready to book before Xmas or someone
> who wants to take the financial risk ?

Wow.  That would be cool, but I can see why it's a risk.  I would say
that the chance of 100 people booking by Xmas is (roughly) nil.  OTOH,
come conference time, I would have thought it likely to be pretty
popular.  Assuming 100 people slept there, what kind of cost per
person per night are we looking at?

Cheers,
M.

--=20
  ZAPHOD:  You know what I'm thinking?
    FORD:  No.
  ZAPHOD:  Neither do I.  Frightening isn't it?