[EuroPython] EuroPython 2004

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:33:31 +0200

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:06:43PM +0200, Magnus Lyckå wrote:
> At 12:47 2003-07-03 +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
> >"Nicolas Chauvat" <Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr> writes:
> >> Speaking of talks, I think we should improve their quality. I suggest
> >> we use a more formal review process. If you want attendees to be happy,
> >> you can not have them listen for half an hour and not learn more than
> >> what's on the first page of the web site.
> >
> >Hmm.  Were the talks so bad this year?  I got the impression that
> >quite a few people were first time speakers who (hopefully) won't make
> >the same mistakes again.
>
> There will be new first time speakers next year...
>
> I didn't think it was so bad. I can't compare with last year since I wasn't
> I'm sure many of the speakers would be helped by some kind of speaking
> course, but that's not really a subject for Europython, although, if we
> plan to have a "social skills" track, I assume we could place such things
> there, and thus improve the long term speaker quality. There will always
> be first time speakers though...

I was not talking about the people presenting the slides but about the content
of the slides. As I said, I think that going to EuroPython should enable
the audience to learn more about a project than the information available
from the first page of the web site.

I'm not suggesting that we teach people to become showmen, but just
that we help speakers make sure the content of their talk is well built,
relevant, focused, comprehensive, etc.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)