[EuroPython] EP 2004 decision rather quickly?

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom@aragne.com
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:09:49 +0200

>> this time hopefully budgeting for their
>> time expenses as well :-)
>
> I see a smiley, but it doesn't look like a funny joke to me. If
> Marc-Andre is suggesting that the arrangers make money on this
> event, I'd certainly like to see some competing offers and a
> possibility to select whatever gives more bang for the bucks.

Gosh.... this idea makes me cry. Do people really think we earn money on
organising it?
Really forget it, you don't. It's even possible you loose money. Aragne
took the risk twice and the first year they last money, this year they
were break even.
I've spend each day for several mounts around 2-3 hours mailing each
other (getting people to work, reminding people of promises they did,
...) ,  IRC, contacting, writing, website and hell it seems I forget a
lot of things (that's good I guess, I don't want to be reminded on
some). None of them are payed and yes, there are far better ways to
spend your hours...
So if people even think somebody of the organisators earn money on this,
well.... I don't know. You just have to be stupid to even want to do
something like helping in such an event.
Ieck... the idea alone that people think we earn money, really I'm to
emotionaly evolved in this. Be sure of this: I will not do this again,
certainly not in that amount and next year.

For the other points, I think the mail of Denis gives a good point of
our view on it. For now I don't want to react on it. It all is too early
for me. But if people would like to organise a poll on this subject, go
ahead, please do.

I'm only afraid that the poll will result in:

1. too less reaction
2. two fronts of people, like it is now. people who like the decision
and others who hate the decision.
3. At the end no outcome and any decision will give a whole bunch of
unhappy people.

If a clear decision comes out (and reasonable on time) I'm just a happy
man.

Another point. Yes, EPC has to move around Europe. I was even one of the
people telling it should. And I still believe it. But as Francis told
us, you need volunteers for that. It is also good that people willing to
organise the next are very active in the conference the year before.
This for the continuity. And last, we hope that EPC becomes so big the
CEME won't be an option anymore.

Enough said at the moment, I need to rethink this all over.

T.