[EuroPython] EP 2004 decision rather quickly?

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 18:34:32 +0200

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:17:14PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 04:07:17PM +0200, Magnus Lyckå wrote:
> > > I had a thought that it might be practical to make EuroPython
> > > into a SIG under the Python Business Foundation.
> >
> > That's a possible option. What do people on this list think about this?
>
> To rattle off some possible objections to this:
>
> One possible objection to PBF is that it is at least in its name
> business oriented, which may not sit well with institutions and
> random hackers.

But then when I claim that EuroPython is not a business oriented event
and should acknowledge its "ahckers talk to hackers" nature, people
(including you) tell me that this is false and good business contacts
were made at EP02 and 03...

And a name is only a name anyway... my idea does not include the renaming
of the conference to Python Business Conference :-)

> Another possible objection is that Zope has another
> organizational structure, and EuroPython is also a large Zope event.

I hardly see the point, unless you think it is worth reviving the
"should not we name it EuroPythonZope conference?" thread that took
place on this mailing list a year and a half ago.

> I don't know how well the PBF works at present to be able to support
> this either; I haven't had time to invest in BPF so far. Can they carry
> the risk, etc.

The bylaws of the PBF were designed to offer the possibility to support
such efforts. The way it could work is the following :

PBF members form a EuroPython SIG.

The SIG organizes itself as it wishes, including electing its own board.

The SIG reports to the board of the PBF.

The SIG takes its own decisions, decides on its own membership costs,
can accept as SIG members people that are not members of the PBF (as this
is already the case for the PIT-SIG), etc.

As you can see, PBF SIGs can be made quite independent from the PBF, while
still avoiding to duplicate the cumbersome work of creating an official
structure, opening bank accounts, etc.

Moreover, the PBF already has its own server and could easily host the
resources necessary for web site, mailing list, etc. (but I'm not
trying either to prevent Amaze from going on sponsoring EP as they've been
doing so far).

> Might there not be a conflict of interest at least for 2004
> concerning Götenburg?

I trust Jacob and Laura not to try to use their positions as board members
to influence a decision that would be taken by the EuroPython SIG members.
And thinking about it, I hardly see any way in which they could use their
positions as board members... everything would be done in the open and
it's not like they have the right to fire or reject the persons there.
And even if it were the case, the whole PBF would be discredited and
our efforts so far wasted.

Does that answer enough of your questions to make a PBF SIG appear like
a valid solution ?

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)