[EuroPython] Re: EuroPython decision process

Tim Couper tim@2wave.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:26:35 +0100 (BST)

My London question from the front was merely to gauge
a difference. However, I'm not a great believer in
such samples (as the no. that wouldn't go to G'burg
was about 20, and London 1, but then, as Alex M.
correctly pointed out, the question is "of those of
you that are NOT here, who would go to
G'burg/London/...")

In the UK, we're up to our eyes in python UK and now
Linuxworld and probably have enough python events to
keep us going next year (esp. as Linuxworld has been
postponed till February 2004)

I wonder, though, whether the propogation of Python
would be better/just as well served at this time by
focussing on & encouraging national/regional groups.
Our experience with the UK group is most encouraging.
It seems to me, for example, that there would be more
French participation in the python community (in the
sense of nembers attending conferences) if there was a
python France conference.

However national/regional conferences aren't as large
as continental, and it does require there to be a
critical mass of interested players. Sounds to me like
there is such a critical mass in Sweden, so how about
a python Scandanavia conference?

FWIW I'm reminded of a friend who led the disaster
recovery work after an earthquake in Latin America.
What he wanted was the US Army to provide small
Heuy-size helicopters so he could move personnel and
resources around. They sent Chinooks because they were
more visible and therefore "better" - but were not
what was best. We're a bit in the same mode -
Europython is the big Chinook, but I think we need to
spread the word locally in our Hueys - and clearly in
the Python case we do need both!

Tim

>A (very) quick summary :
>
>- candidates :
>
>  Denis and friends in Charleroi
>  Strakt and friends in Goteburg

And I repeat, the Göteborg offer comes from the larger
Python community
of Göteborg, and not from Strakt.  I think that the
idea that a
community conference is something that a COMPANY gives
a community
is distinctly wrong.  It ought to be something which
we give ourselves.

>  Andy and friends in UK

I thought it was Tim Cooper who was offering.

>Please someone step up and take over from this point.
Thanks.

Not me, I have a plane to catch.

Laura