[EuroPython] EuroPython decision process

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:59:40 +0200

At 20:27 2003-07-09 +0200, Tom Deprez wrote:
>So you would like to have the balance on eg a website? Interesting idea.
>But I've seen nowhere a conference which does that. Also PBF doesn't do
>that.

As newly appointed auditor of PBF, I've just started to look
at these things, and while I didn't explicitly mention the
web site, I've suggested a format for an annual financial
statement, and talked about the importance of this information
being available for all members, and it should certainly be
sent to every member before the yearly General Assembly. This
year there was just an oral presentation at the General Assembly,
but the only transactions were membership payments, so it was
not a very complicated report... I still think it should be done
in writing in due time before the meeting, but PBF is still in
its infancy.

With a light weight organization, we can't expect any online
accounting system to be updated daily, but I think it would be
good with an open budget and information ASAP if there is any
significant deviation from that.

>What is the problem with the fact that somebody -when he/she's
>interested- just mails the organisation in charge of the bookkeeping? In
>this case it was P3B of which Denis is the chairman. Later it will be
>'something else', when everybody has discussed and voted.

If there is a formal EPC organization, it should obviously report about
its financial status to all it's members/owners before it's general assembly
or whatever the equivalent might be called.

>Meaning: I think it is as transparent as it possibly can get.

Maybe there is a problem here that some information is available
inside P3B, and other information is in the mailing list and so
on. For those involved in both P3B and EuroPython, it's not a
problem, but for those outside P3B, it isn't transparent. I guess
this could get clearer if there was some kind of formal EuropPython
organization for all of us who are involved. Maybe P3B *could* become
that, I'm open to all alternatives, but it isn't that today.

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se