[EuroPython] thoughts

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:24:45 +0200

On Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003, at 12:38 Europe/Paris, Michael Hudson wrote:

> I have a feeling this talk of legal structures and decision procedures
> may somewhat be missing the point.
>
> The "EPC community", as I see it, has one (1) decision to make:
>
>     Whether to hold the next EuroPython conference in Gothenbourg or
>     Charleroi.

I agree, this is the subject at hand.

> (I don't think that there are any other serious contenders for
> location).

I agree on this also.  The threshold should be pretty high for being a
contender.  We shouldn't let "wouldn't it be cool if" get muddled into
the equation.

> _Everything_ else should be pretty much up to those who do the work,
> especially the local organizers but also to some extent the track

Hurray!  +1000.

> chairs.  It would be nice if these workers' discussions were open and
> others could contribute, but I strongly believe that the only real
> mandate to make decisions comes from willingness to do the work they
> imply.

Another thousand. :^)  "Ok, so I do most of the crappy work for no
money, and in fact I put my own money down as a deposit, and some
distributed group of voters that only participate for voting tell me
what to do?"  Smells a bit gamey to me. :^)

> I also would stronly like the question mentioned above to be answered
> not by some kind of vote, but by consensus.  I don't want the would-be
> local organizers who don't end up hosting the con to feel they've
> "lost", for all sorts of reasons.

I completely agree.  Just because we don't have formal bylaws doesn't
mean we have anarchy.  We know how to do the rough consensus thing for
software.

Hmm, maybe somebody should write a PEP for EPC2004. :^)

We need a process that makes sure voices get heard and establishes
buy-in amongst the groups that matter.  We also need a process with a
known conclusion.

> There was an unofficial deadline of August the 15th mentioned, and I
> *really* think we should stick to this, but AFAICT we're no closer to
> a decision than we were a fortnight ago.

I'm in favor of this process also.  By August 15th, any alternatives to
Charleroi should have a feasible plan emailed to this list.

> And finally, while I can see pros and cons of both the proposed
> locations, my own thoughts come out near as dammit to even.  So that's
> not much of a discussion starter :-) What do others think?  (Please
> place honesty over even-handedness...)

Now that we've all agreed to the process...:^)  we can start voicing
our opinions.  I think that Charleroi is a success and should be
considered the incumbent.  If someone else proposes a serious
alternative that measures up well, then I'll probably support it.

I will be vocally against moving for the sake of moving.

--Paul