[EuroPython] Voting structure on the web

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:49:21 +0200

[PBF advocacy]

Well, I'll just summarize a few of the points against, as some people
seem to have missed them in earlier threads.

Financial/responsibility:

  * PBF board will hold responsibility for the budget.

  * Conference budget likely will far outweigh that of the current PBF.

  * PBF board will therefore need to exercise the purse strings
    carefully.

  * PBF board is not controlled by the EuroPython SIG members.

This issue is to my mind the more important one. The PBF board
in particular and the PBF members (who may have nothing to do
with EuroPython as they may be in, say, Australia) will have
an influence on the EPC organization that may not be desired.

And more community perception oriented:

  * PBF stands for 'Python Business Forum' and the purpose is to
    organize and promote the interests of *companies*.

  * This could discourage some people who do not participate
    in a company, for instance those who work at an institution,
    as well as those who are Python enthusiasts without Python jobs.

  * The Python community is larger than those who people who control/influence
    their companies.

  * EuroPython is a conference for this community; it's not a Python
    Business Conference (this is a track and what business that goes
    on is important, but so is the diversity among attendees).

Note that I'm just summarizing some of the feelings that I and
others have; this doesn't mean I in particular am proposing any of
these as clinching arguments *against* the PBF. I'd just like to
see better arguments *for* using the PBF than just saying they
already have an organization and a bankroll.

To make this a bit more clear, I'll ask a slightly naughty question:

Why is nobody proposing we become part of the P*S*F
(The Python Software Foundation)? This after has an organization and
a bankroll, and also has in its mission statement the following:

 * Publicizes, promotes the adoption of, and facilitates the ongoing
   development of Python-related technology and educational resources. This
   includes, but is not limited to, maintaining a public web site, planning
   Python conferences, and offering grants to Python-related open source
   projects.

Regards,

Martijn