[EuroPython] Voting structure on the web

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:13:48 +0200

At 00:49 2003-07-17 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>[PBF advocacy]
>
>Well, I'll just summarize a few of the points against, as some people
>seem to have missed them in earlier threads.
>
>Financial/responsibility:
>
>   * PBF board will hold responsibility for the budget.
>
>   * Conference budget likely will far outweigh that of the current PBF.
>
>   * PBF board will therefore need to exercise the purse strings
>     carefully.
>
>   * PBF board is not controlled by the EuroPython SIG members.

Agreed. A EPC SIG under PBF can't be truly independent. I'm don't
really think this will be a problem in practice though. It's easy
to get a EPC SIG started, and if it turns out to cause problems,
I'm sure we can create an independent entity.

Naturally, there is a worst case scenario where being part of
PBF becomes an acute problem in the middle of EPC preparations,
but that seems a bit far fetched for me. It seems obvious to me
that PBF would loose very much by causing problems for EPC.

>This issue is to my mind the more important one. The PBF board
>in particular and the PBF members (who may have nothing to do
>with EuroPython as they may be in, say, Australia) will have
>an influence on the EPC organization that may not be desired.

But if you look at the current PBF board members, you see a very
big overlap with EPC people. To me that is a reason not to form
a second organisation. It's would be a bit like all of us just
changed hats. PBF and EPC is fairly close to being the same
people. The PBF general assembly takes place at EPC, and a
majority of the board members are on this mailing list. All board
members live in Europe, and Aragne, eGenix, Tim Couper etc are all
members.

>Why is nobody proposing we become part of the P*S*F

Because PSF has much more focus on USA, and much less overlap
with the EuroPython community?

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se