[EuroPython] Python and Database

Noelle QUEMENER noelle.quemener at edf.fr
Mon Oct 13 08:54:56 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am working on a new project which aim is
- to centralise data in an Oracle Database,
- to do some calculations (based on models),
- to visualize these data on diverse client PC (heavy clients).
The OS environnement is Unix.

The context of the system is
- in case of crash the user mustn't lose his context and can work in a
degraded mode
- high transparency to failures
- high availability of the system (10 minutes allowed between 7h and 14h -
1 minute allowed between 14h and 15h30
and less than 1minute between 15h30 and 16h30)

The techical architecture is not yet chosen but experts advise us to use a
Cluster Weblogic application server combined to a Cluster
version of Oracle and java developement on the clients (heavy clients)
What I know is that java is not a performant tehnology in terms of speed of
execution and Cluster softwares are extremely expensive.
I discovered Python not so long ago and to what I saw it is surprising how
compact/performant it is and how easy it is to use. I would like to
propose Python by I have no argument to support my suggestion. Can someone
help me?
My further questions are:
- we don't want users to connect directy to the database but we want them
to use an interface. Can such an interface be deployed in Python,
knowing our time constraints?
- as we want a high availability of the whole system what kind of solution
could we use?

Thanks,
Noelle Quemener