[EuroPython] August Europython?

Tim Couper tim at 2wave.net
Mon Sep 8 20:47:12 EDT 2003

August is likely to attract the smallest number of attendees (apart from
possibly December), certainly in the UK, and I suspect in other nations. I
think we have to do it in June at the latest.

Tim

Jakob wrote:

Item 1:
We have information from the providers of cheap housing. They have a total
of
233 beds. 15 rooms with 4 beds, 5 singlerooms and 84 doublerooms. They are
fully furnished and have private bathrooms and TV. There is also access to
shared kitchens in each entrance.

These are all avaliable the first, second and third full weeks of August. A
fair number are available June 7-9. The rest of the period 1 June - 31
August, they are mostly fully booked.

I would therefore like to propose that we hold the Europython 4-6 August or
possibly 11-13 August. Advantages of an August conference is that school
will
be out everywhere. Disadvantages are that southern Europe has vacations and
that the first week of August may be too close to OSCON to get Guido to
come.
However, the dates for OSCON have yet to be announced, so we don't quite
know
when it is going to be.

I have assumed that having the conference in the first week of August is
less
disruptive to vacation plans than having it in the second week. In the third
week of August, the freshmen start at Chalmers, which means reduced
availability of suitable conference rooms, so I think that is not a
reasonable option.

We could look at other times as well, but that would mean that people would
lodge all over town. A lot of the closeness and informal contact making
would
get lost.

Unless I hear wild protests, I will work on the August 4-6 alternative, with
time for sprints 31 July - 3 August.