Fwd: Re: [EuroPython] some ideas for the registration and talksubmission workflow for EPC 2004

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Feb 3 08:47:06 EST 2004

Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes:

> In a message of Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:30:33 GMT, Michael Hudson writes:
> <snip>
>>The word register is uncomfortably overloaded, I agree.  Unfortunately
>>I can't think of a better one...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>mwh
>
> Subscribe, and Join come to mind.

I may be being an old fashioned english-language pedant here, but
subscribe is just *wrong*.  Join is better, though.

> Also there is no law that says we need a one-word verb ....
>
> 'Tell us about yourself'
> 'Add yourself to the wiki'
>
> seem better than register to me.

True, but I'm not sure either of those conveys the idea that you are
creating some kind of persitent account with/presence on the site
(assuming that's the idea).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  same software, different verbosity settings (this one goes to
  eleven)                             -- the effbot on the martellibot