[EuroPython] Website update - feedback requested!

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Jan 17 10:45:09 EST 2004

Anna Ravenscroft <rev_anna_r at yahoo.com> writes:

> The Europython webwerkers met today and had a very productive meeting.
> You can see the minutes of the meeting here:
> http://z3u.com/ep2004/WebWerkersLog
>
> We are looking at some changes for the new site, but first, we'd like
> your feedback on last year's site - contents, design, forms, etc. Think
> about last year's site and come visit our wiki page and let us know how
> you feel. Answer any or all of the following or any thing else you
> think we need to know:
> What worked?

Most stuff, didn't do all that much with it, though.

> What didn't?

The specific annoyance I had with last years site was the issue of
what formatting was allowed in the speaker and talk description
fields.  If it's feasible, I'd like to use ReST here.

> What was particularly helpful?

The talk matrix was funky.  Are reportlab willing to do the programme
generation stuff again?  Someone on the webwerkers (sic) group should
probably liase with them...

> What was especially frustrating?

The feeling that I wasn't quite sure how everything worked?

> How easy was it to use?

Twas OK.

> How easy was it for you to update?

Again, fine.  It's been a while though.  I seem to remember that It
Would Be Nice (tm) of one could get a more informative sumamry
overview of all the talks on your track -- I have memories of having
about 13 browser windows open and flicking back and forth between
them.  Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to be able to remember what
information I want on this overview until I have to do it again :-(
But if you think like a track chair and remember what it is track
chairs spend time doing -- trying to slot talks together, not have
people give two talks one after the other, keep similar talks
together, etc -- you can probably get close.

> YOU are the folks who've had to answer questions on the site and the
> forms, who had to use it, who had update it. So, we need YOU to help us
> make this year's site even better.Come talk to us at:
> http://z3u.com/ep2004/WebsiteFeedback

Oh... do you want me to post this email to that page?

A final peanut gallery comment is that it would be nice if the site
looked different enough from previous year to be obviously a different
site.  Nothing drastic needed here, though.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Those who have deviant punctuation desires should take care of their
  own perverted needs.                  -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp