[EuroPython] EPC 2005 and 2006

Tom Deprez tom at aragne.com
Mon Jun 14 06:40:32 EDT 2004

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
> Tom Deprez wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I know, but I still think other groups are allowed to offer
>> their initiatives too. It doesn't mean that a group needs to prepare
>> a conference from more than a year in advance, that they are
>> immediatelly selected as the organisers voor 2006. Other groups
>> should still get a change.
>>

> Tom, please. CERN 2006 is a PROPOSAL. It is not decided yet. I
> propagate for CERN because 2006 I think it would be a boost for the
> Python Community and because I want "Particle Accelerators: The
> Guided Tour" if there is such a thing.
>
> Any other people that have a PROPOSAL are welcome to enter theirs. So
> far, there is Göteborg for 2005, and CERN for 2006. None other, unless
> of course, you or someone else is preparing one.

We aren't preparing one :-).
I only heard other peoples at the conference stressing out they were
interesting in organising one. Of course, if these people don't react,
then CERN it will be. The only thing is that it seems that CERN needs to
be quickly decided which will give the others no time to prepare a
proposal. It would also mean four succesive conferences in the more rich
countries of Europe (which might leave some people -who are not able to
come- out of the running for some years)

> What exactly gave you the impression that things have been unulateraly
> decided? I do believe the community has learnt their lesson from last
> year...

Uehm, nothing yet. It's just that it seems to be decided very soon,
which gives me the idea of
I just gave my ideas on the subject. No impression at all. I don't think
my mails give this impression (if they do, be sure to know, I didn't
want to give that impression), I just want to discuss on the subject
like other people do too.

>  > There are two options:
>  >
>  > 1) Because CERN needs to organise a conference 1.5 years ahead, we
>  can > decide now to allow them to organise it in 2006
>  >
>  > 2) We allow other groups to offer their initiative for 2006. If not
>  > CERN is selected, then CERN can offer their initiative in 2006, so
>  > they can organise it in 2007 or 2008.
>  >
>  > I just mean that we don't have to take immediate decisions,
>  because of > some external factors
>
> Actually, because of the people wanting to organise it are there now,
> 2007 and 2008 might not be possible to organise at CERN, because they
> may no be there then. Also, CERN has stated that they themselves would
> need som time ahead to be able to organsie everything, beacause of
> them being such a large organisation.
>
> So yes, there are some external factors that may come into play.
> However, let's not assume that there are problems a priori. Let's face
> them when we actually see them coming.
>
> In the meantime, I encourage those that have actual proposals (or at
> least a suggestion) to step forward and announce their willingness to
> host EPC in 2005 and 2006 (or 2007, 2008... :)

Yup,yup.

tom.