[EuroPython] Webite woes

Jacob Hallén jacob at strakt.com
Tue Mar 2 10:16:42 EST 2004

Oh dear, what a mess. I guess it is all my fault, because I should have
understood more about web thingies. However, I didn't, and now we need to
clear up the whole mess in a hurry, because we are running very late.

I will list the things I want to accomplish. I understand that some of them
may be impossible to do or require an extraordinary amount of work. If so, I
need to be told about it, and I need an alternate route suggested. We have a
day or two before the website _must_ go live.

1. I want a website that is clean and simple to navigate for the visitor. This
means that the boxes for logging in and publishing information must be gone.
The only thing acceptable for the administration of the site is a single,
discreet button somewhere. The site should be a EuroPython website, not a
Plone website.

2. I want a sidebar that looks like the old site. I want to change some of the
headings and links, but otherwise I want it to be exactly the same. It is a
very good navigation tool, providing just the right help. When we have these,
we can get rid of the tabs at the top (No, tabs at the top is not a working
replacement -- I really want the grouping of the subjects that you get on the
sidebar in the old website).

3. People registering for talks, attendance and lodging should be uniquely
identified by an email address they provide. They should not be required to
supply a password. The registration process should not require them to select
"register" as one operation and then require a step "submit paper". The
workflow should be that they select "submit paper" -- then, if registration
is necessary, the workflow process gives them a registration form, followed
by the form for submitting the paper.

4. Registering for things should be a series of links in the left sidebar.

Now, time is very short, and that means that there is no room for discussion
of wether my list of points is the best thing or not. What I want to know is
if the things I am asking for are possible in the current timeframe.

Jacob