[EuroPython] Web site wonderings

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Mar 2 11:12:01 EST 2004

In a message of Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:35:40 GMT, Michael Hudson writes:
>Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes:
>
>> --- this is the alternative I like.  But I do not understand why they
>>     need an account.  Once we have their name, we can try to collect
>>     information and we can stuff it into a database someplace so we
>>     can refer to it later, and keep people from having to retype things
>.
>
>How is this different from them having an account?
>
>I seem to see people saying "I don't want X, Y and Z, I want Y, Z and
>X" a lot here...
>
>Cheers,
>mwh

Aha, perhaps it is a language problem.

Accounts for me are things with passwords.  You have to supply a
password, and then are stuck remembering the damn thing, and then
typing it to use the system.  I have 0% faith in password security,
so all I consider this is a barrier to commerce (and other activity).

If everybody could have an account which is their email address, and
which had the password, <no password>, and where they were never prompted
for a password, then I would say that people had accounts which were
hassle free -- so hassle free that they were not aware that they had
accounts, and just interacted with the website.

People with multiple email addresses who cannot remember which one
they used to instantiate official identity on the website -- will
often instatiate again, suffer website-multiple-personality-disorder.
Making this thing do call by reference, via 'Full Name' may work, or
may not.  So what.

Right now, what I am seeing is the notion that since we moved to
Plone, which was supposed to make everythiong easier, we have
discovered a hidden cost.  It is now tons easier for the people
who know Plone, and some of the people who know Zope, and even
people who knew neither, to add content to the website.

Contact me if you wish to do this and don't know how.

This is its virtue.

What isn't good, what isn't even close to acceptable, is the notion
that you have to be a plone-login-holder to register for the
conference.  I want people who have 15 minutes to register for
EuroPython, just before they leave for a concert, to be able to
do type, type, type, click, in ... done'.

So is what you call an account different from what I do?