[EuroPython] EPC 2005: where and when?

tom tom at aragne.com
Mon Oct 4 19:07:37 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beatrice Fontaine" <bea at webwitches.com>
To: "Michael Hudson" <mwh at python.net>
Cc: <europython at python.org>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 5:07 PM
Subject: [Tom] Re: [EuroPython] EPC 2005: where and when?

> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 15:35, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >  Connected to that is the question as to whether
> > > we continue using Plone - before we even begin working on the site.
> > > There obviously was disagreement on that too and it would be very
useful
> > > to get that aspect dealt with asap.
> >
> > Well, that very much depends on who does the work.  I would hope that
> > now there's a bit more (hurredly acquired...) plone experience around,
> > working with next year's site would be easier than this year's was.
> >
> > I'm also looking for less, not more, involvement on my part...
>
> I think everyone shares that feeling, actually. The whole intention
> behind the choice had obviously been that the content should be, as a
> matter of course, truly worked on by all those involved, and that turned
> out to be more complicated than planned for a variety of reasons - one
> never ceases to learn. However, since the site survived the first
> onslaught last year, I think that we should
>
> either
>
> 1) keep what's there and improve on it asap
>
> or
>
> 2) suggest another solution, making sure that there is actual support
> for that solution among those who will have to use it
>
> or
>
> 3) update the existing site while someone is cooking up something
> better, because the outdated content on the existing site should be got
> rid of rather sooner than later.
>
> What do you all think?

Mmm,... well... it all in fact depends on the people who want to work on
it... it is there decision.
If somebody is going to help and is going to put a lot of effort in it, then
he/she can decide what kind of website to use.
If there is no extra help, then I think EP should stick with the one there
is.
Also, another point: it is not a good idea to change every year from website
technologie... so I would suggest, if somebody wants to change, then this
has to be discussed very carefully and analysed to see if the solution will
fit for several years.
Another possibility is also: Go with the existing one, while another team
develops the website for the comming years...

Tom