[EuroPython] EPC 2005: where and when?

Beatrice Fontaine bea at webwitches.com
Tue Oct 5 09:04:06 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 08:13, Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:

[snip]

> sure, though I think the problem with that stance is that many others
> were not unhappy. The main problem last year was that the content was
> provided way way too late, and that feedback (the negative one) was
> given at about the same time, which meant that most people did not have
> the time to properly learn a new tool nor where the creators of the site
> given neither proper feedback nor time to fix things.

Yah, well, as I said: we never cease to learn. People having got to know
each other (better) at last year's event will be of great help in this
respect. Less emotional overhead ;)

> Just a note: do not wait too long to present the new site. It will take
> time to adjust to it and learn the tools, and if we *really* want to
> this years mistakes, we should fix the process and the delays in getting
> ready to actually do something, because there never were any big
> problmes with the tools, as far as I am concerned.

Well, the obvious advantage is that, if the tool is in the firm hands of
the main organisers, there is less to worry about in terms of content
provision because they are the ones with their hands on the tool, they
know where to put content and how to put it there, so there won't be any
delays because of the technical platform that was chosen. Therefore, if
they made a tool that they are happy to use, it would have to have
extremely obvious snags for me to protest. Just don't make it pink :)
However, I do agree that the platform discussions, from my point of
view, were of a more... ideological nature than anything else. But since
that happens everywhere and all the time, it is most probably a total
waste of time to go into it again. IMHO.

> So, to sum it up: present the new site ASAP, it even needn't be 100%
> finished and give people time to get accustomed to it. Then immedialty
> start working on content and the process of getting content.

Yep.  Let's talk more when the welcome alternative is there.

Cheers

bea

bea at webwitches.com
"My agenda is so hidden that I can't find it myself". Me.